Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Battlefield of the Mind

So I'm currently working through a devotional by Joyce Meyers, titled Battlefield of the Mind. Here's an expert that really hit me hard...



"Too often we cry to Jesus to heal us, to take care of our finances, or to deliver us from problems, but we don't fully expect good things to happen. We allow our minds to focus on the negative aspects. Doubt and unbelief war against our minds and steal our faith if we allow it."



And in James 1:6... "But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind." Now James was talking about asking for wisdom in this passage, but I believe it holds true for anything. God wants to be our rock, He wants us to depend on Him and come to Him with our problems and concerns. He knows what we need before we ask, but He still wants us to come to Him! Too often, I find myself grumbling or stressing (usually unnecessarily) about things, generally finances, but not really going to God in prayer about it! My prayer life sucks! I KNOW in my heart that Chris and I are in God's will with him being a youth pastor, and our decision for me to stay home and be with our child... but when I see the numbers, with our income and budget not really working out... I stress. Now, I haven't been working since July 20th and I'm amazed at all the extra income and gifts that have come in and blessed us. God hasn't stopped taking care of us... yet I still stress. I'm one of those grumbling Israelites again, wandering in the desert... focusing on the negative, stressing about the future and forgetting about how marvelous my God is and how He's taken care of us so far!! We have been SO blessed!!! My heart knows this, my mind is just stubborn.



Chris and I both have been convicted lately for different things, regarding going to God in prayer, instead of just "talking" and grumbling about things. And we've seen some amazing answers to prayers in just the last few weeks! We're blown away, actually, at how fast God actually moved, once we finally came to Him in prayer!! You'd think that would be enough to teach us our lesson, and go to Him first with EVERYTHING!! Yet it's still hard, and we have to put ourselves in check every once in awhile and stop "talking" and start "praying".



I know God can do anything. That He's in control and will be faithful to His promise to take care of us. I know this is true. But my flesh is weak, and too often I let doubt and worry take over and I feel like it's up to me to be in control and I have a hard time letting go of things. I can pray, but I still see the "numbers" and it doesn't add up and my faith flies out the window. The mind is SO stinkin' powerful, and Satan LOVES it when I beat myself up aboutthis stuff. But I'm glad for the Holy Spirit's conviction, I'm happy that God continues to answer prayers and not give up on me and my stubborn self. And I'm truly going to try to stop focusing on what seems to be issues, and just trust God to continue to provide... like He's been doing all along. I want to pray more... and as I do, I know I will see answers, and my faith will grow stronger, and it will give me a great testimony to share with others about how God is working in our lives!!! Who wouldn't want that!!! I blogged about putting God in a box awhile back, and here I am doing it again... but that just shows that our walk with God is a daily thing. You can't just think you've conquered something and forget about it. Satan doesn't stop battling for us... he wants us to be controlled by doubt and fear, and will continue to whisper in our ear to keep us bound. But God intends for us to be free, and my desire and prayer today is that I will stop grumbling and go to God with every stress and concern, big or small. AND, when I go to Him, I will believe with my heart AND mind, that He is able to answer my prayers... and WILL answer my prayers, according to His will... not because of what I can or cannot do... but because He is God and that's what He does. When I pray, I need to lift my hands up and surrender... knowing that I cannot solve the problem. I cannot make money appear... but God can, and has. I cannot move in the hearts of others and make them "change" their opinions because I disagree... but God can work in both of our hearts, and align them with what His will is. God is big... bigger than I give Him credit for sometimes. I put Him in this box and limit what I think He will do... when what He CAN do is beyond my comprehension most of the time.



Point is... I need to stop stressing....



Philippians 4:6-7 - Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.



Matthew 6:33-34 - But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.



I just need to just go to Him with everything and let Him do His thing, His way!! Why is this such a hard one to learn??

No comments: