The night before Thanksgiving, my Grandma fell on her way to the car and broke her hip. She had several small strokes back in August, so they had to take her off her blood thinning medicine before they could do surgery. She was finally cleared for Saturday, and they performed the surgery that morning. They said the surgery went fine, but unfortunately, she's not coming out of the anesthesia. She has been responsive at times... she smiled one morning, and she can move her head towards voices, but her eyes are pretty glassy and we're not sure if she can really see yet. She's squeezed our hands, and wiggled her toes, but she cannot talk, which has to be the most frustrating thing ever... both for her, being the social butterfly that she is, and for us, because we don't know what's she's thinking. We know she's in pain, because she will nod her head when we ask, but we don't know what hurts or how to fix it. They were trying to take her off the morphine so we could see if she was coming out of the anesthesia... but Monday was a rough day and she was in a LOT of pain, so they had to put her back on it, which means she's pretty drugged up all day and out of it. So it feels like we've taken a step back. I was in Portland up until Monday. My mom called me at work that morning around 9am, and by the grace of God I was in Hays by 9pm that night.
I need your prayer. For my Grandma, my Grandpa and my family. I don't know what God's plans are, but I know what our desire is... a miracle. I serve a mighty and powerful God... One who has raised people from the dead and healed people just by them touching His clothes. I know all things are possible for Him, and that faith as small as a mustard seed can move mountains... and my faith is much bigger than a mustard seed.
Casting Crown's has a song 'Praise You In This Storm' which is not an easy task... it's hard to praise Him when you're feeling so crushed and helpless. It's hard to praise Him when my heart breaks with her every moan... when I see her lying there in pain... and frustrated as she tries so hard to communicate, but we just cannot understand. I don't know why things have to be this way.
But I can praise Him because I have peace knowing that my Grandma is in His hands. I can praise Him because I know He doesn't want her to be in pain either. I can praise Him because her grandkids have rallied and come from all over just to visit... just one testimony of her influence in our lives. I can praise Him because when all is said and done, I know without a doubt that she will be in Heaven with Him... probably chatting His ear off, talking about old times when she lived on the river!
So I'm asking for your prayers. My Grandma needs your prayers. I cannot stand the thought of her being in pain for the rest of her life. I believe she has more people to tell about the love of Christ, and I don't think her job down here is done yet. But like I said before, my plans aren't always God's plans. So I'm asking for His will to be done. I do need His healing hand to touch her where it hurts and take the pain away. I want her to wake up so I can hear the story of when I was born one more time. And I want her to know it's me when I say 'I love you.' My Grandma needs healing and comfort, my family needs comfort and strength. And I need to get through a day without crying... but that's just a bonus prayer, if you have the time!!
Thank you for listening... and if you're the praying-type, thank you for your prayers. You can never have enough!! God is working through it all, and I know He will receive all the glory in the end.
3 comments:
Stacie, I am really sorry to hear about your Grandmother. My Grandma is also in the hospital with a pretty serious infection. She's doing ok but not great b/c there are other complications cropping up. I know exactly how you are feeling and I will be praying for her and your family...please be praying for mine as well.
love you
Stacie, I am so saddened to hear about your Grandma, Edie. She is very special to all of our family too so we will pray hard that the Lord will bless her and keep her. I know that the Father has her in the palm of His hand and that He will never let her go.
My Mom has been very sick in the hospital the last week. She said yesterday, "it's hard enough to be old but to be old and sick is almost too much". It makes heaven a place for which to long.
Post a Comment