Saturday, July 01, 2006

Does anybody want donuts?


In bed by 4am, with the goal of getting up at 6am. Yeah, that didn't happen. My alarm went off... but it wasn't until Aunt Kandy came in at 7am that I finally made it out of bed! So we left about an hour late, but hey... that was a better scenario than the night before! So with donuts in the back, mochas in our hands... we headed off to the cabin! I absolutely love that drive... and there's just something about the mountains in the early morning that is even more majestic!! We drive up the path to the cabin and pull up in front... I get out of the car and yell out "Does anybody want donuts?" My mom is the first one to yell out "yeah!" I look over to Aunt Kandy and immediately point out that she doesn't get it. Now, my Dad, Aunt Suzie and Uncle Dean all know it's me... my mom is the only one in the dark!! My dad asks her is she knows who said that and she replies "yeah, Kandy" with a little disgust in her voice. My Dad says you better check again and as she looks down, she jumps up with her hands in the air and immediately turns around and rushes off the roof. She's got tears in her eyes as she's running down the side of the cabin and gives me a HUGE hug!! Mission accomplished. That alone was worth the plane ticket!!! :-)

So after the hugs, Aunt Kandy and I were quickly put to work clearing the old shingles and nails off the front porch and walkway. Aunt Mindy was coming later that afternoon with the kids, so we couldn't have them stepping on any nails!! Once that was done, I got up on the roof to help. I don't think I really helped much, but I was told numerous times that I needed to pay attention because I would be in charge of supervising the young ones next time... Parker, Noah, Ethan, Seth & Jordan have already been nominated for the job in 20 yrs. Anyway, we worked until the lightning forced us off the roof around 2pm, we had a few more rows to go, but the storm didn't give us much of a choice. So we had a nice little 2 hr. break to go inside and chat. But as everyone started drifting off to sleep, I so eloquently screamed and woke them up as drips of water fell on my arm!! Whoops... my bad. But hey, it caught me by surprise!! The storm finally passed and we were able to get back up on the roof and finish the job!!! Meanwhile, Mindy showed up with the kids (yeah!!)... and Parker even helped out by putting things away as we handed them to him off the roof!


Once the job was done, we grubbed on some lasagne Aunt Kandy made and we headed to the Lindbergs, our cousins cabin down the road, to take showers. Our water wasn't working, despite much effort & disgust by my Dad. Running water is a lovely thing. They also have an indoor toilet, unlike our cabin, which is also beautiful!! Then again, I wouldn't change a thing about our cabin... outhouse and all!! Anyway, we got to chat with family and once all the showers were done, we headed back to the cabin to crash. After only having 3 hrs. of sleep the night before, then working all day... I crashed immediately. It didn't even matter that my 5'8" body was squished on a 5' couch!! Lord, please keep away the bears.....Z Z Z Z z z z z z z.....

1 comment:

SUPER said...

How fun! I love cabin life! So much fun!