Monday, February 05, 2007

Just when you think the world is SO big...

.. it gets incredibly smaller.

So I'm at Safeway yesterday, doing my last minute Super Bowl shopping and as I head down one of the aisles this guy is just staring at me... he had that look that he might know me, but can't quite put his finger on it. I see him glance down at my sweatshirt, so I try to help him out and I said... Fort Hays State University? (I was sportin' my college student look, as my roomie likes to call it... my FHSU sweatshirt, camo shorts and matching flip flops, but of course!) He started to smile and said that he's actually been in Hays, he took a summer course there 2 summers ago while he played for the LARKS!!! I, of course, responded with my normal "Shut up!" and continued to laugh out loud. Dang, how many years was I a groupie? Aaahh... memories!! Anyway, I guess he played at Notre Dame for 2 yrs, got sent to Hays to play for the Larks and now he's up here at the University of Portland. I guess he didn't really care for good 'ol Hays because the cops pulled him over on Main St. for going 31 in a 20. Hehe!

Anyway, as we chatted I noticed his necklace had a fish, with a heart in it, so I just came out and asked if he was a christian. He looked a little shocked as to how I would know, so I mentioned his necklace and he just smiled and said yes. He goes to Imago Dei which is in SE. I've heard of it, but don't know much about it. Hmm... I might have to go check out some Pilots baseball games this spring!! Ya know... support a fellow brother in Christ!!!

It just cracks me up that I can be in a city this size and have run-ins like this! And this isn't the first time this has happened. A girl that was a year older than me in high school lives out here with her husband, who also went to Hays High. I thought I saw her in the gym a couple years ago, but was sure my eyes were playing tricks on me. I got confirmation from her dad, however, when I was back in Hays one time and apparently she lives in my neighborhood because I saw her walking her dog one morning on my way to work!

I also have an account up in Olympia, WA that I talk to on a regular basis and she mentioned being on vacation in KS one time. I asked where and about fell out of my chair when she said Hays!! Her daughters still live back there and get this... they went to school with my mom! One of them even married my mom's friend's ex-boyfriend. I couldn't believe it!!!!!

I'm so far away from home... yet God keeps giving me little glimpses of it every now and then to help close the gap. God is too cool!!! :-)

5 comments:

SUPER said...

Very cool. I had a similar experience just the other day. Called the gas company to see if they would be a corporate sponsor...the woman I ended up having to speak to lived in Liberal when I was in grade school and went to our church. In fact, I think her husband BUILT our church! Crazy.

SUPER said...

OH...and she DID give me the corporate sponsorship I asked for! Woo-Hoo!

Anonymous said...

I am thinking that this guy could be a potential date - call him up!!

Jessica

Kansas said...

hehe... that's what I was thinking at first, but then I remembered that i'm knocking on 30 and he was born in 1985. And no, i'm not stalking him... i just couldn't remember his name, so i looked him up on the university's website! :-)

SUPER said...

ha...you're a smart cookie! and really...it would be okay with us if you were stalking him a little! ha