Thursday, October 25, 2007

One Hit Wonder

In the past, I’ve remained quite content with my singleness, but every now and then I fall into settling for Mr. Right Now… who is inevitably Mr. Wrong. And unfortunately, I know that full well going into it, yet still allow myself to get caught up in the instant gratification of having “someone” even when I know it’s outside of God’s will. This habit of mine drives me nuts… and it always ends up with me praying this man away, asking God to save me once more from my disobedience. It never ceases to amaze me how patient God is with me.

Well, a couple of weeks ago, I was out with friends for Violet’s bday and unbeknownst to me, she went into match-making mode and eventually brought a young man to our table for interrogation. I wasn’t paying too much attention, in fact, I was trying my best to ignore her and her comments such as “Could I have picked out a more perfect guy?” or “I just found your future husband”. But I perked up when I heard Multnomah Bible College and actually joined in the conversation a little bit. I left the bar impressed with how he handled the whole situation with grace… absolutely loving the fact that he had quoted Philippians 4:8 to her as she was standing on the table… and walked out with his phone number in my pocket.

I stepped out of my comfort zone and called him a couple of days later, and we went out a week after that. But before the date was even established, I was amazed at how my mindset was SO different with the mere thought of going out with this guy, compared to other guys I've gone out with. Usually, my shyness and lack of self-confidence has me using my body and the clothes I wear as a way of gaining or keeping interest. But this time, I was more concerned with modesty and not wanting to cause my Christian brother to stumble.

On the night of our date, he was a complete gentleman… he brought me flowers, opened doors, paid for everything… things you’d expect from a guy on a first date. And all of that was wonderful, but it’s not what grabbed my heart. It was so refreshing to be with someone that loves God and tries to keep Him first in his life. God wasn’t just one of the topics of the night, He was sprinkled throughout our conversation all evening long. It was liberating in a sense... I didn’t have to hold back, fearing that I was talking about God too much. I also loved how he genuinely cared for others. He made sure to introduce himself to each and every person that served us that night, and thanked them personally before we left. He said “Hello” or “How’s it going?” to everyone we passed… whether they were walking by, sitting at a table outside of a restaurant, or sleeping under the bridge. And it wasn’t just a quick hello in passing… it was sincere. He feels God is calling him into the ministry to be a pastor and he’s headed to New Orleans in January as part of a church planting team. Granted, I’ve only spent a few hours with him, but his love and compassion for God’s people is amazing and I know God's going to use him mightily!

I had such a great time! And God used it to teach me some things about myself and challenge me in my walk with Him. At this point, he’s more of a One Hit Wonder… 1 great night, and unfortunately I haven’t heard from him since. But regardless of whether I ever see him again or not… he was a gift from God and I’m thankful for the evening I spent with him. God showed me a glimpse of what He has in store for me. That I’m not waiting in vain… and that a guy that loves God with all his heart and puts Him first in his life does exist!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting an angel with a spotless halo... I know no one is perfect, and I'm a perfect example of that. But I'm dreaming about a man that loves God and is trying to live for Him as best he can... someone that learns from his mistakes, and seeks and accepts God's forgiveness for them... that serves people out of his love for God, not out of obligation... someone that meditates on His word and stores it in his heart... that recognizes that his strength and all of his blessings come from above... someone that sees God's creation as an artistic masterpiece... someone who won't let a rock cry out with praise on his behalf... someone that looks to God for guidance with life's decisions, no matter how big or small the issue... someone that trusts that our Father in heaven is in full control and will "work all things out for the good of those that love Him and are called according to His purpose".

Too much to ask? I honestly don't think so. This is what I desire & strive for in my own life... and some days I do pretty good, other days I fall flat on my face! But I want someone with the same desires, so we can encourage one another, help each other to grow and keep each other accountable in our walks. God's mercies are new every morning... and I want someone to share them with. Through the mountains and the valleys. I want the man God has for me. And from this point forward... I refuse to waste my time settling for anything less.

4 comments:

Jackie said...

whoa--those were really cool 'God-shaped thoughts' there. i'm glad you were blessed with a glimpse of what God has in store for you and i pray that He will bless you with the patience to wait on Him too.

Jeff and Michelle said...

You just brought tears to my eyes. :) I'm still praying for the right guy to come into your life. I'm glad you had a great date and saw that you can be patient and keep your hopes up for the right man!

Kansas said...

I love you guys! :-)

liliuokalani said...

too much to ask? i think not! kansas that was so refreshing!God's luv is so amazing- to embrace us in spite of our shortcomings- that's why my heart is ALWAYS drawn back to Him. your last lines are the best~ "I want the man God has for me. And from this point forward... I refuse to waste my time settling for anything less." i luvit~ luv u miss u pray always for u! ;)