Sunday, July 20, 2008

Deschutes Dash '08


Well, it's official!! I'm a triathlete!! Woo hoo!!! Ana and I headed out to Bend, OR on Saturday morning and met up with our friends Sherri and Robert for Ana and I's first triathlon experience!! We took a practice run down the Deschutes River on Saturday so we'd know what to expect... which was FREEZING water and DISGUSTING moss. Seriously. It was gross. Sherri had warned us about the moss, and usually it doesn't bother me... but when you touch it with each stroke of your hand and thanks to the goggles, it looks like it's about a foot from your face... it freaked me out. But minus those trivial issues, the practice swim went well and we headed back to the hotel to clean up before our pre-race dinner! We had some yummy pasta at the local McMennamin's, then headed to a cute little spot for a dessert cocktail and then it was off to bed for a good night's sleep!

Sherri, Ana & I

This was part of our "team" that we were racing with.

We thought this was comical... Robert standing in front of "Roberts"

Ana and I trying on our swim caps!


Sunday morning was the race... we got up early and headed to the riverwith all our gear around 6:45 am! We got our things set up at the transition area and then headed to the starting point on the river. We were in the first wave, so we started right at 8:15 am. Have I mentioned how flippin' COLD the water was? Thank God for wetsuits!!! They're hard as heck to put on... and they make you look, oh so sexy... but they are worth it!!!

And we're off!


The swim went pretty well for me... I ended up coming in after 18:42 (18 min, 42 sec) ... I would have been faster if I wasn't freaking out so much about the moss and cold water. I would try to do the freestyle stroke, but would lose my breath and have to flip over and do the backstroke. Next year will be different... atleast that's what I'm telling myself! LOL! So after I reached the transition area, I got prepared for the 12.5 mile bike...


This is the part that kicked my butt. I came out of the water ahead of the girls, but Sherri passed me on the bike. I don't own a bike (yet) so I trained on Sherri's son's bike, but that was only 4 times! Before that, it had been a good 15 yrs. since I've been on a bike. Once again, next year will be different! The first 1/2 of the ride was pretty much a steady incline of about 500 ft. elevation. Not too bad... but still kicked my butt. It was great, tho, because I can't even tell you how many people passed me and shouted out encouragement... telling me I was doing great and keep up the good work. Tri-athletes are SO nice!!! Anyway... I finished up the bike portion in 51:43, which is about 14.5 mph. Definitely need to improve on that time for next year!! So next up was the last event... the 5K (3.1 mi)!! This was the one thing I was ready for... I've been running all summer. However, my legs were definitely wobbly after riding 12.5 miles, and the first portion of the run was on gravel, which also made it challenging. I saw Sherri ahead of me, and was only a few people behind her... but unfortunately, didn't have enough gusto to push it and pass her. I was just excited that I was going to finish this thing!!!


And finish is exactly what I did!!! I ended up running my best 5K ever at 25:01 (25 min, .01 sec), which is about a 8:04 pace. Which is insane!! I guess all my Track Tuesdays with the boys at work was well worth it!!! It seems a little off, b/c I even stopped a couple times, but hey... I'm not complaining!!! Next year, I'm passing Sherri, tho!! LOL!!! So I came in with a finish time of 1:41:40 (1 hr, 41 min, 40 sec) which includes all the transition times. I was SUPER happy!!! I came in 98th in the women overall, out of 203 participants. In my age division of Females 30-34, I came in 14th out of 27. Not bad for my first triathlon!!!


Robert... our faithful chauffeur, photographer, holder of things and cheerleader!!!


After the race, we sucked up the free Gatorade, chowed on the free snacks and said Cheers! with a Deschutes beer! Then it was off to the hotel to check out, a quick stop at SONCI (woo hoo!) and it was back to Portland. Ana left Lexi at home with her auntie, so she was pretty anxious to get home... and we were both just ready to crash! Well, I was... Ana got some shut eye on the way home. But after we picked up Lexi, I planted myself on her couch and chilled for a good couple of hours before finally heading home.

So it was a great weekend... and a great accomplishment after my 31st birthday!! And now I'm hooked!! Next year's race is July 19th and I'm already talking about buying my own bike. Never in a million years did I ever imagine that I would attempt or accomplish such a thing... but it was simply amazing!!! Ana and I grabbed hands and said a prayer on the beach, just before we headed into the water... and this is just more proof that "All things are possible with Christ who gives me (us) strength" - Phil. 4:13!!!!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

WOW! I am so impressed! Congrats on finishing well and actually enjoying the whole thing. WooHoo!!!

Jeff and Michelle said...

You rock! Seriously, that is an amazing accomplishment! Your photographer did an excellent job, too. It's cool to see all those pictures of you!