Thursday, October 30, 2008

Powerful mind...

It's amazing to me just how powerful our minds are... and how dangerous they can be. This past weekend my mom called me and started a comment by saying, "now don't freak out..." and you know that can never really be good. She proceeds to tell me that they found a spot of skin cancer on my dad, and it was a bad kind, that can possibly spread to other organs... BUT, they believe they caught it in time, and not to worry. But they were going to go to KC that weekend for an appt. first thing Monday morning. Ok. No big deal. She's not worried... there's no need for me to be worried. And to be honest, I really was ok... I had a complete peace about it all weekend.

However, Monday morning rolled around and as time went by and I hadn't heard anything... all peace flew out the window. I knew his appt. was at 9am, CST... which was 7am, my time. I was a wreck all morning. I finally called mom's cell around 9:15am and they were still chillin' in the waiting room, watching TV, and she thought it'd be another hour or so before the biopsy results came back. Ok, fine. Immediately, I enlisted in some prayer from a couple of friends and tried to get some work done and be normal. However, that was easier said than done.

As time went on, and I still hadn't rec'd a call from mom or dad... my mind was going a million miles a minute. It just wouldn't stop. I had plenty of work to do, but my mind didn't care... it was focusing on one thing only. Dad. As I thought about the possible test results... my eyes would well up with tears and I'd quickly dab it with a kleenex to keep them from falling. Then my mind would swing the other way and think there's no way God would take another Dad from me, or take another husband away from my mom. That just wouldn't be fair. But then my mind would rush me back to the thought of cancer, and I was ready to quit my job and move back to Hays to be with my family. I'd need to be home with my mom and dad.

It's then that I realized how crazy I was being... and how scary my mind is. It's insane how quickly it can take me out of reality... and how quickly I can forget about the God that is in complete control. I knew His hands were on our situation... and that we would get through any possible outcome with Him as our strength... but dang! My mind was wearing me out, racing back and forth, thinking about moving to KS and just freaking out! I had to stop myself and just lay the situation down at His feet... and moreso my fears.

Around 11:30am I got a call from Dad and he delivered the good news that the new hole in his head, was cancer free. In fact, the doctor in KC wasn't convinced that the other lab diagnosed him correctly. So dad might have a new scar for nothing... but better safe than sorry. I was so thankful to hear the news... and within minutes, Dad and I were making jabs at each other, just like normal!! I like normal.... normal is good.

Anyway... the mind is a powerful beast. One that can be used for good... or for evil! LOL!! The same mind that got me through college with honors, can also drive me crazy with completely planning my future out, when I don't even know if tomorrow is going to happen!!! It's crazy...

2 comments:

Jeff and Michelle said...

Wow - I'm so glad your dad is ok! What a scary few days for you guys! It's funny that you were considering moving back home right away - when my mom got her cancer, it barely crossed my mind to do that. Apparently I'm a selfish brat and you're a devoted daughter... :P

Jackie said...

whew! that's a relief. glad everything turned out ok.