Friday, June 30, 2006

"You're what I need, and I need to be about..."

I absolutely LOVE this line... it's from Shawn McDonald's song, Take My Hand, from his Simply Nothing album. The song talks about recognizing our need for God, our dependence on Him, and realizing we are incapable of living this life apart from Him.

I think, as believers, the first part is a given. We know we need Jesus. We know it in our minds, but whether we commit to it in our hearts and walk it out in our every day life is a different story. It's the second part of this line that sparked my interest. I'm all "about" a lot of things... God, family, having fun with my friends, watching college football, working with kids, going to church, etc. But it's not a question of whether I love Jesus, am I about Him 24 hrs. a day, 7 days a week? Is His character being displayed in my every word, action and thought. Is my light shining even when that customer has worked my very last nerve?

I want to be about Jesus in everything I do. But it's a constant battle between flesh and spirit. Sometimes distractions come so easily... lets see, there's boys... staying up late & then breezing through devotions, just to get them done... watching stupid re-runs of shows I don't even like, instead of spending some quality time with God in prayer... and did I mention, boys? I desire for His love to overflow in my life and touch everyone I come into contact with! I want folks to see Jesus when they look at me!

Life would probably be easy if I was all alone, running slow motion through a field of flowers, with a pretty pink dress on and classical music playing in the background... but that is not my reality. Reality is... I'm just an imperfect person, living in an imperfect world. Fortunately for me, I have a perfect God living inside of me, so I've got hope!

So until Jesus comes back for me, I'll just keep living each day at a time, keeping my eyes on Him and doing my best to BE ABOUT Jesus all day, every day!

No comments: